Writing Across the Curriculum at UNM
Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) at UNM assists educators with designing, integrating, and assessing writing as a high-impact tool for learning, thinking, and communicating in and out of the classroom and across the disciplines. We support student writers of varying documentation status and who are linguistically-, racially-, culturally-, technologically-, ability-, and sexually-diverse.
Located within UNM’s Center for Teaching and Learning in Zimmerman Library, WAC at UNM:
- Supports individual faculty and instructors, programs, departments, and colleges in designing and sequencing writing assignments and forms of assessment as a part of a disciplinary curriculum.
- Aids educators in assessing students’ progress toward course and program learning outcomes.
- Leads one-on-one consultations and workshops for faculty and graduate teaching assistants on WAC initiatives.
- Recognizes and promotes student and faculty success in writing initiatives through campus-wide awards and events.
- Collaborates with other UNM learning resources on campus on writing-related initiatives.
Request a Consultation or Workshop
We are happy to design workshops of various lengths to meet your specific needs as they may relate to writing, reading, and assessment. Below is a list of example consultation or workshop topics:
- Strengthening Students' Writing in the Disciplines
- Improving Student Success Rates in Killer Courses through Writing
- Responding to Student Writing with Time-Saving Strategies
- Designing Reading Assignments
- Using Writing to Promote Class Discussion
- Creating Assignments Students Enjoy Writing and You Enjoy Reading
- Helping Students Avoid Plagiarism
For questions and more information regarding Writing Across the Curriculum, please contact:
Dr. Cristyn L. Elder